Hi everyone, happy Saturday! Today I have my fifth post of my 31 Day Challenge, which is blue nails. I got the inspiration for this one from my all-time favourite t-shirt, which I got from Qwertee a couple of months ago. I have a massive love for whales (I think I actually was a whale in a former life) so when I saw this tee design on sale I had no hesitation in buying it.
The best thing is that the design is entirely blue, so it was pretty easy to translate onto my nails. I created a blue glitter sandwich on all my fingers except my ring and thumb, then painted little whales onto those as accent fingers. Here's how it turned out (oh, and I finally got some sunlight for taking pictures!):
Hopefully these pictures show up the glitter sandwich properly. I used one coat of blue jelly polish, followed by the big holographic glitter polish, followed by another blue coat, and topped with an iridescent glitter. I was trying to achieve a look that suggested bubbles under the sea, and I personally am so pleased with how it came out! It's subtle but still sparkly in the light, and I think it looks like an indie polish instead of layers of separate ones! I'm actually considering buying more of the individual polishes and mixing them so I can have this in my collection.
Here you can see the whale on my thumb a little closer. I think I mentioned in my previous post that I have naturally unsteady hands so my brushwork isn't great, but I was pretty pleased with the detail on the whale, and it didn't take long to paint at all.
The polishes I used for this design were:
- La Femme - Electric Blue (the jelly used for layering - very cheap and this is reflected in the difficulty of the application, but it has such a lovely shimmer finish that it's worth the struggle)
- Barry M - Hologram Hexograms (the chunky holographic glitter used in the sandwich), Blueberry Ice-Cream (whale's water-spout)
- Claire's - Unnamed blue/purple iridescent glitter
- China Glaze - Electric Beat (for the whale's body)
- Max Factor - Dazzling Blue (whale's water-spout)
- Laval - White (spray on the water-spout)
- Rimmel 60 Seconds - Black Out (eyes and mouth)
- Seche Vite Dry Fast Topcoat
Phew, big list! I've included a couple more pictures for you, close-up bottle shots of the two glitters used in the sandwiches on my non-whale nails, since they are ridiculously pretty on their own as well, and I highly recommend them both:
|Barry M - Hologram Hexograms|
|Claire's unnamed blue/purple iridescent glitter (I couldn't quite capture the purple in pictures but it's there in real life)|
Finally, I shall leave you with a shot of my lovely platypus mascot with three of the polishes from this design. Wait, actually, I just realised that my little mascot has no name! I think I might have to ask you guys for suggestions... anyone?