Sunday, 9 September 2012

[nails] Day 11 - Polka Dot Nails

Hello folks, apologies for the slight delay between posts! As I mentioned in my last post, I had a friend staying with me for the week so I didn't get the chance to do my nails - although I did do both her nails and my sister's, so look out for that post soon. 


Today I bring you Day 11 of the 31 Day Challenge, polka dot nails. For this challenge I actually decided to recreate a look I did last summer when I was just getting into proper nail art. It's a simple design but I just loved the colour combinations so much that I wanted the opportunity to have another go, now that I understand the principles of cuticle clean-up and so on!




As you can see, this is a very basic design with just five different colours, and white polka dots over each. When I did the design previously I stamped the polka dots, but I freehanded them this time using a medium sized dotting tool. The polishes I used were:
  • Barry M - Shocking Pink, Lime Green, Block Orange, Cyan Blue, Yellow
  • Laval - White
  • Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat
I also used Laval's White as a base underneath the green and yellow nails, to prevent staining and to make the colours stronger - the green especially is quite sheer and needs a good four/five coats to reach full opacity. 


I still like these nails, even after a year - they make me think of summer and I got some really nice compliments despite them being so simple. Hope you guys enjoyed them too :)


Bye bye from the Nail Platypus!

Katy xo

4 comments:

  1. I love polka dot manis and my fav has to be yellow ones! It's just so summery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was worried the white wouldn't show enough on the yellow polish but it turned out okay in the end :)

      Delete
  2. Did you use a dotting tool for this? Either way, you're really good at dotting (Me, not so much!) and you've reminded me that I need some Barry Ms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, yes :) Thank you! And yes, buy ALL the Barry Ms. I was organising my stash this weekend and I have 33 Barry Ms, enough to fill a whole nail rack so they look all uniform and neat. Plus my sister has about 6 or 7 more, and there's still more on my wishlist, especially with the new Gelly collection coming out later this month <3

      Delete