Hi everyone, today I have a post that I'm quite excited about - I've been nominated for the Liebster Blog Award, and by two different lovely ladies! This is an award for bloggers with fewer than 200 followers, and since I am comfortably below that number I'm pretty shocked that anyone reads this blog at all, let alone nominates me for awards. I was nominated by the wonderfully talented Lariesa at Me, Myself & Polish, and Laura at Pictures && Polish. I highly recommend you follow these two, and I'm not just saying that because they gave me an award ;)
Now, onto the award itself! Here's the rules:
1. Each person tagged must post 11 things about themselves.
2. They must answer the 11 questions the 'tagger' has set for them.
3. They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
4. They must then chose 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers and tag them in their post.
5. These lucky bloggers must then be told.
6. There's no tag backs!
Since this is a text-heavy post, I'll do all this after the jump...
Right, 11 things about me. I can tell straight away that this will be a struggle!
1. I've been painting my nails since I was under 10 - my parents always let me so I never thought it was a problem. I get confused when some people disapprove of it because they see it as children wearing make-up; for me, nail polish/art isn't make-up, and I don't do it to impress other people or change my appearance, so I don't see why it should be a problem for children.
2. I'm a History student, but I actually know very little about history overall - there's so much of it, you see. I dread history questions coming up on quiz shows because whoever I'm watching with will always go, 'Ooh, a history question, Katy will know this one!', and I rarely know the answer. All my specialisation in my degree has been very modern, post-1900 history, so when I'm asked things about 17th/13th/9th century history, of course I have no clue!
3. I am kind of obsessive about washing my hands. I don't even like wearing moisturiser on them because I need to have them feeling completely clean!
4. The Truman Show is pretty much my favourite movie of all time, I've watched it at least 25 times. My parents showed it to me when I was quite young and I loved it straight away, and as I've gotten older the meaning has become even more significant to me. Plus the last ten minutes never fails to make me cry.
5. I love to decorate everything. When I have my own room at university it is inevitably covered in posters, pictures, glow in the dark stars, bead chains, feather boas, Christmas decorations, fake flowers, ornaments, and generally anything and everything colourful/sparkly that I can find. When my boyfriend visited my new house that I'll be living in from October he said it didn't feel right without my usual decorative explosion of colour ;)
6. I volunteer once a week at the National Railway Museum in York. I know next to nothing about trains but I work in the Press and Marketing Department and it's actually really interesting.
7. I think I'm already middle-aged. When I went on holiday this summer I bought tea-towels as presents for myself and my housemate and we both got disproportionately excited about them - that and the fact we have an airing cupboard in the new house. At least I have a prematurely middle-aged buddy though, I guess?
8. I have quite a severe stationery obsession. I mean, the number of notebooks I own is almost as high as the number of nail polishes I own. And I very rarely write in them because I buy ones that are so pretty, so I don't want to spoil them!
9. I adore high heels and wish I could wear them on a regular basis, but at 5'9", most of them make me just weirdly tall so I feel uncomfortable around other (shorter) people. If only I was a few inches shorter!
10. I don't wear jewellery very often, apart from a few rings, but I always think I should make more of an effort too, because there's so much adorable stuff out there!
11. I have no idea what I can write for an eleventh thing, so instead I shall give you a picture of my adorable cat, Portia (although this was taken a couple of years ago so she's a bit older now!):
Since I was tagged by two different people, I have two sets of questions to answer. First up, from Lariesa:
1. What name of a nail polish made you LOL?
Ooh, I'm not sure! Very good question though - the only one I can think of off the top of my head is China Glaze's Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.
2. Are you a morning person?
Nooooo way. But then, I'm not an evening person either - I like my sleep at both ends of the day so I guess I'm best in the middle?
3. What kind of pets do you have?
I have the cutest cat in the world - she's a six year old tabby called Portia.
4. What is the thing that you love the most?
Ooh, this is tricky! If we're talking about physical/inanimate objects then it would probably be my laptop... but if it's just anything in the world then it would probably be my family, especially my sister.
5. What Nail polish brand is your favorite?
Probably a tie between China Glaze and Barry M, with W7 as a close second!
6. What kind of mani's do you like the most? (Plain, stamping, freehand etc.)
I think I probably have to say freehand - there's so much potential for different designs!
7. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
CHOCOLAAATE. Or anything involving chocolate. Especially from Ben & Jerry's.
8. What would your weapon of choice be in a zombie apocalypse?
Probably a tank. Would that count as a weapon or is it technically a vehicle? It would be pretty effective... although if I couldn't have that, then just the most enormous violent machine gun I could find ;P
9. Which blog did you follow first?
10. If you could only have one, which would it be: Facebook or Twitter?
Facebook I think, bit more stuff to do on there.
11. Which TV series genre do you like to watch most?
Ooh difficult, I like a lot of different things - science fiction, medical dramas, lots of stuff!
Now, the questions from Laura:
1. Winter or Summer?
Summerrrrr. I hate being cold :'(
2. What's your favorite nail polish type? (Holographic, cream, metallic, etc)
Ack. Difficult question. Probably cremes? Although holos are gorgeous, but I don't own so many of those... and I have some amazing glitters too... it's too hard, damn it!
3. What's your favorite nail polish brand?
See above, China Glaze or Barry M!
4. What's your favorite nail polish?
Oooooh this is another one that is just too hard! It'd definitely be a green... perhaps Sinful Colors' Call You Later? It's a mixed green glitter.
5. What's your favorite manicure x pedicure combo?
I'm not sure that I have one! I never really coordinate my fingers and toes, I leave pedicures on for much longer so there's always a change with my fingernails.
6. Do you prefer to do your own nails or go have them done?
I've never had my nails done professionally, ever, so I definitely prefer doing them myself! I like to be in control >:D
7. Do you prefer to do your own toes or go have them done?
Same as the previous answer!
8. Is there a color you would never wear on your nails?
I'm not sure, maybe black? I'm not a fan of wearing dark colours on my nails unless they've got bright art over the top.
9. Have you ever spilt nail polish on the carpet? (I shamefully have -.-)
Thankfully not, although once my sister picked up a bottle that I'd been using and intentionally hadn't tightened the lid on because I was going to use it again, and so that spilled on the floor and I got blamed :(
10. What's your least favorite nail polish brand?
I don't think I have one! I don't buy things I don't like the look of and I can't think of any polishes that have majorly let me down...
11. Can you type with wet nails?
Yep! Usually I don't have my nails longer than I can type with anyway, and I type with my fingers quite flat so the nails don't really touch the keys.
Phew, that's all my questions answered! Now time to set them for the people I'm tagging. Here you go ladies:
1. If you were put under a curse and turned into a nail polish, what kind of polish do you think you would be?
2. What's the strangest thing that's ever happened to you?
3. What's on your Christmas list this year?
4. Which books have you read recently, and were they any good?
5. What's your preferred method of creating nail art (stamping, tape, dotting tools, etc)?
6. What was your worst subject at school?
7. If you were given an all-expenses paid holiday to your dream destination, where would you go?
8. Do you play any musical instruments?
9. What colour do you have most of in your nail polish collection?
10. Who you do look up to/admire?
11. What's your number one pet peeve?
Phew, it's tricky trying to think of interesting questions, I hope the ones I've come up with are decent! And now, onto the bit we've all bit waiting for, the eleven people I'm tagging for the award! I'm sure some of these guys have been tagged previously since they're pretty well known, but hey, they're all my favourites :)
6. Naila Nails
So, it's all over! I'll admit that this post has taken me a loooong time - answering all those questions and thinking of things to say is surprisingly hard work! I hope you enjoyed reading, and thank you to Lariesa and Laura for nominating me. Hope the ladies I've chosen have as much fun as me with this tag :)