Thursday, 18 October 2012

[nails] Day 19 - Galaxies

Howdy, partners! How are you all? I am ridiculously excited because I'm off to London this weekend with my family to celebrate my sister's 18th birthday - we're going to see Mamma Mia on stage, yay! However, you have no need to fret and worry about my absence, I have new nails for you today and I'm scheduling another post for the weekend to keep you satisfied. 


So without further hesitation, I present Day 19 of the 31 Day Challenge, galaxy nails! I assume all of you have seen the galaxy nails trend before - I'm not entirely sure when it began but I've always enjoyed seeing galaxy designs, although I'd never tried one myself. I hesitated over them for a while because both my black polishes are now so thick and gloopy that they're practically unusable (although I've ordered some nail polish thinner from Born Pretty so hopefully that should be remedied soon). I then realised that I could probably get the same effect from just using a dark blue base, so that's what I did! Here's how they turned out: 




For the base on these, I used one coat of Barry M's Cobalt Blue, topped with one coat of China Glaze's Riding the Waves. This created such a gorgeous deep blue base that I was reluctant to cover it up! I sponged on in different places: Rimmel London 60 Seconds - Black Out, China Glaze - Electric Beat, Rimmel London 60 Seconds - Green With Envy, China Glaze - Re-Fresh Mint. Then I used a dotting tool and Electric Beat and Laval - White to create some stars, and topped the whole thing with a coat of China Glaze - Fairy Dust, to make it twinkly. 


At first I wasn't sure about these, and I'm still not convinced they look much like galaxies, but I think I've fallen a bit in love with them since they're so sparkly! For such a dark-coloured design I was surprised how much I liked it. Do you lot think they look anything like space? :P


So long, lovely readers, I love you all! <3 Nail Platypus
Katy xo

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love galaxy nails good call on the dark blue makes the whole thing look alot brighter and not so hard. I like it :)

    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really glad I used the blue in the end :)

      Delete
  2. wow - stunning. I think Barry M cobalt might be one of my fave polishes ever, I know how you feel about not wanting to cover it! Hope you're having fun in London, I'll be expecting some Abba inspired nails in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooow, it's so gorgeous! Thank you <3

      Delete