Wednesday, 27 February 2013

[nails] V-Gaps with Barry M Gelly Lychee and 17 Rock Hard Nail Effects

Hi everyone! Today I have a couple of new polishes to show you which I bought last week, one of which I love, the other... not so much. If you're in the UK you'll probably know that Barry M just released four new colours in their 'Gelly' range which are supposed to be one- or two-coaters with really high shine. I didn't actually buy any from this line when they first came out, but when I saw that they'd released a neutral colour (called Lychee) I just had to have it! 


The second new polish is also one that's been causing a bit of a stir over here in Britain since it's one of the first high-street textured polishes to be available. Seventeen/17 have just released a line of four new textured polishes called 'Rock Hard', so I decided to pick up one to try, and plumped for the ever-useful black. 



So... I was planning a swatch post for both of these two, and I went ahead and painted all my nails with two coats of Rock Hard Black. Only to be driven to desperation and taking it all off about two hours later. Sorry guys, but when it comes to textured polishes you definitely won't be seeing any more on this blog! It was sooooooooo annoying >_> I'm a person who usually does a lot with their hands - either fidgeting and playing with my hair, or things like knitting and needlework which require handling fine yarn/thread/fabric. So the textured effect just kept snagging and catching on everything, and I couldn't stand it. It does give a cool visual effect but I just couldn't bear to wear it on the full nail for any length of time. 



And then I came up with a compromise! The main thing that was annoying me with the Rock Hard effect was the tips and lower halves of my nails snagging on things, so if I could find a way to keep it towards the base of my nails... v-gaps!




I'd actually never tried out this design before but I'm quite taken with it, might have to try this one again in the future. What you're seeing here is a base of two coats of Barry M Lychee which is really lovely - it applies very smoothly and gives an extremely glossy finish. Then I taped off the triangle and applied just one coat of 17 Rock Hard in Black. As you can see, the textured effect is pretty cool, and it doesn't bother me when it's not towards the tips of the nails. 


I took a close-up shot so you can see the texture a bit more clearly:



That's the blue sky outside that you can see reflected on my nail! For once in the UK, we've actually had sunshine all day and it's wonderful - spring is in the air. The Nail Platypus was so excited that he started sunbathing on my windowsill:


And since it's a Wednesday, it's time for another British Nail Bloggers link-together! There's some very talented ladies in this bunch so do take the time to check out what they've been up to:




That's all from me now, hope you're all enjoying the sunshine if you have any, and let me know what you think of this design or if you've tried any textured polishes recently :)


Huggles, 



Katy xo

8 comments:

  1. Aww really fabulous, love your nails, girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool mani :)
    I've only tried nails inc leather effects and that doesn't catch at all. The bumps seem a lot smaller and less defined though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'd probably much prefer leather effect stuff that's a bit smoother, this one just infuriated me :P

      Delete
  3. What a lovely mani:) I love it! I haven't really got the point of these textured polishes, I think I'd have the same problems as you, they'd get in my way. I think your solution is great though:) Glad to see you've got some sunshine, be time to get the sunscreen out soon lol:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I was really disappointed but as much as I tried I just couldn't manage with the textured effect >_>

      Delete
  4. Love love love this! what a great combo.

    ReplyDelete