Sunday, 30 June 2013

[nails] Pocket Money Polishes - Pina Colada and Summertime

Hey everyone! Today I have something quite exciting for you guys - swatches of two polishes from the upcoming summer collection from Pocket Money Polishes, run by the lovely Charlie. She has already released one beautiful Glitter Babies collection of four polishes, but the Glitter Babies summer collection features five shades, all named after songs: Pina Colada, Pretty Woman, Firework, Summertime, and Ice Ice Baby. 


I have two to show you today, Pina Colada, and Summertime. All of the collection are clear based glitter toppers; Pina Colada has an orange colour palette, while Summertime is green. Most of the other bloggers I've seen have tried these over contrasting colours, so I decided to layer them over complimentary colours to see how they worked in a more subtle look. First up is Pina Colada. 


As you can see, Pina Colada features a really pretty mix of small yellow hex glitters, large light pink squares, and large orange hexes. This is a great combination and is definitely at home in a summery collection. Here I've shown two coats of Pina Colada over two coats of W7's Sheer Peach, topped with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri. 


As with most indie glitters, a bit of fishing is required to get the larger glitters, but this is normal and not exactly a big problem. If there was one issue with this it would be that the coverage is a little sparse - this is two coats but if I was wearing it again I would probably use three or even four, since I like my glitter quite dense. 

However, application was smooth and the glitters stayed flat on the nail which can be a big problem with other brands, so it more than makes up for the coverage. The drying time is also good and I didn't experience any shrinkage. 

Here's a bottle shot to show you the colour balance and just how pretty this one is:


Now we have Summertime. If you know me at all then you know I love green so as soon as I saw this one, I knew I had to have it. I especially love yellow-toned greens so this is perfect for me: a mix of small yellow hexes, small green squares, small pale blue hexes, larger green hexes, and big pale blue hearts (you can see one on my index finger). 


Here I've layered two coats of Summertime over two coats of Barry M's Spring Green. Unfortunately the terrible lighting here (caused by the lovely rainy summer we're having here in the UK) meant that my camera just couldn't capture the green base properly no matter how hard it tried, so this combination worked better in real life. Weirdly though, the glitter was captured colour accurately which is why I haven't altered the image to correct the base. 


You can probably see that the coverage on Summertime is a bit better than on Pina Colada - two coats was just about enough for my tastes, although I could probably use a third since the combination of glitters is just so pretty together! It was a bit difficult to fish for the large blue hearts, but not a big issue for me. As before, the formula was great, application was smooth, and the drying time was pretty fast. 


The Glitter Babies polishes come in 5ml bottles, which might seem small, but let's face it - how long would it take you to use up a 14ml bottle of indie glitter? I know I always feel like they are too precious to use for daily wear so I save them for special occasions - this bottle size is perfect for me. 



My two polishes arrived really quickly and in perfect condition, shipped in this cute little bag: 


Overall I'm really happy with these polishes - the only problem is the slight lack of coverage, but this isn't a big issue compared to some polishes I've experienced. The formula was great, I haven't had any problems with glitter settling, and the colour combinations are just gorgeous. I think Charlie's done a great job, especially considering it's only her second collection!

The Glitter Babies Summer Collection will be available from the 1st July, from the Pocket Money Polishes retail site. They will sell for £4 each, excluding P&P. 

You can also find Pocket Money Polishes at Charlie's blog here, and on Facebook here
I really recommend checking them out, and Charlie is a lovely person so if you have any questions I'm sure she'd be happy to answer them. 

Finally, I shall leave you with the Nail Platypus who has missed you all dearly after being away for so long:



Hugs,

Katy xo

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! They are gorgeous polishes <3

      Delete
  2. These are so pretty - and lovely swatches! I just ordered both of them :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good call! I'm sure you'll love them :)

      Delete