Saturday, 14 September 2013

[food] Malteser Cake

Hey everyone! I just started my new job this week so it's been a bit hectic in the Platypus household, but the weekend is finally here and I have time to write up a post. This cake is one of my favourite recipes and is a nice alternative to a plain chocolate cake - malteser cake!

If you guys know me at all, you'll know that I love chocolate in all its forms, but Maltesers have to be one of my all-time favourites, so making them into a cake - it's just logical, right?

The recipe comes from the Nigella Lawson book Feast and is just so delicious. Here's the ingredients all ready to go:


The cake uses Horlicks to make it malty, just like the taste of Maltesers. You can see that in the book it's just a two layer sandwich cake, but since I didn't have any tins quite big enough, I made it into three tiers instead. I suppose I could have made a smaller mix... but why do that when you could just have an even more decadent cake?


And here it is! Doesn't it look awesome! I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I was seriously pleased with how this came out. The icing also has Horlicks in it so the cake as a whole definitely tastes like Maltesers - soooooo yummy.



The recipe is really easy to make - a little more complicated than a regular sponge cake since it involves melting the butter in the milk and Horlicks mixture, but it doesn't take long and the results are so worth it! Definitely has my recommendation if you're looking for a twist on a regular chocolate cake. 

Nom nom nom nom nom nom....

Katy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment